Sunday, August 30, 2009

School Days

Abby started 5K at Carver and loves her teacher. She, however, does not like the whole concept of school........getting up early and staying all day. Every day she wakes up and tells me she is not going to school today. :) I tell her about all the exciting things she will do there and all the friends she'll get to see. She doesn't really buy into that kind of talk. I asked her to help me get something out of the car one morning and she looked at me as serious as could be and said, "I'm not falling for that, Mommy." I had to choke back a laugh! :) She cried everyday for 7 days straight but finally seemed to turn the curve on day 8. Thank goodness!

Joseph is receiving home bound instruction from his 3rd grade teacher. We are so excited that she offered to do it! He is getting to know her and she is telling him about their class and who is in there. He is real excited and anxious to go back. He is filling his days in creative ways (putting puzzles together, building with Legos, and writing a "mystery novel"). He wants an old fashioned typewriter so he can write more books. *Nurse Joy, Joseph and my mom finished the pirate ship you gave him! Thank you so much, they had tons of fun doing that! I'll try to post a picture soon so you can see it! He has already made his Halloween costume! He wants to be a ghost. He is taking a New Christian class and has enjoyed that also.

I am working full time for the first time since Joseph was born. I am really enjoying being back in the classroom teaching 4th grade! I am getting to know my students and enjoy the independence and enthusiasm of the 4th graders. They are a fun bunch to work with! My school is very supportive and the staff is very positive. I am thankful for these things! While I work, the grandparents have pitched in and are taking turns staying home with Joseph. He has loved spending time with them, so it has been a win-win situation! They help him with his school lessons and do the fun puzzles and things with him. This week his "Grandma Greenwood" wants to start teaching him to play the piano. Grandmama Cribb is in charge of making costumes. He knows she likes to sew. I can't wait to see what they come up with!

All in all, I think we are making the most of the situation. We will be so happy when he is back to himself and able to enjoy the outside world again! He is getting cabin fever! I can't blame him! Thank you for all your prayers and don't forget to continue to pray for our donor family. I'll try to post again soon when we get lab results from Friday's blood work.

Until next time,
Angela, Stephen, Joseph, and Abigail

3 comments:

Janis said...

Hello! My name is Janis Swart. I have a son named Carson who had a heart transplant when he was 5 1/2 years old. He turned 9 in April. We celebrate his 4th heart birthday next month, the end of October. His cause for transplant was viral as well. He is doing great and we are very thankful.
I hope Joseph is feeling better and soon fully back to himself. I haven't read your full story but it sounds like he has done really well since his transplant. I am sure he will get over this little bump with flying colors and be back on the road to full blast soon.
Take care and enjoy the labor day weekend.
Sincerely, Janis Swart
gnjswart@fairpoint.net

Janis said...

Hi again, I forgot something I wanted to mention. Chances are you already know about it, but just in case. We use a cream called EMLA for Carson before his blood draws. It numbs the skin so you don't feel the poke. We were introduced to it at Seattle Childrens Hospital while we were hospitalized and then got a Rx for it when we were discharged. You spread a small amount where you think they will draw (we sometimes do both arms) then wrap seran wrap around it. If it sits for about 45 minutes before they draw, they won't feel it. Anyway, as I said you probably already know about it. But in case not....we have been really thankful for EMLA, especially during those frequent poke times.
Take care, Janis Swart

Florence said...


I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their website at www.ultimatelifeclinic.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!