Friday, July 31, 2009

Cath Update

This is Hayley, one of Angela's friends. She asked me to post an update about Joseph, so here goes. The good news is that the heart function and pressures in Joseph's heart are better than the doctors thought. They were expecting them to be much worse and were "pleasantly surprised" with the results. The fluid around his liver has also decreased, which is another good thing. The not-so-good news is that the cath biopsy report came back with a high rejection levels Rejection levels are measured from 0-4 with 0 being no rejection and 4 being total rejection. The increments are 0, 1a, 1b, 2a, 2b, 3a, 3b, 4. Joseph's level was 3b. The rejection is still treatable with medicine. They have started him on another strong medicine that will totally wipe out his immune system, so that his body will quit fighting against the transplanted heart. This will make Joseph more susceptible to infections and he will have to be isolated for awhile. It is all just a waiting game and Angela said that she will know more details later. Please continue to pray for Joseph to respond to the medicines without any side effects. Also, remember to keep Angela, Stephen and Abby in your prayers.

6 comments:

lori miller said...

Angela I just found out about Joseph this morning. My heart goes out to you guys during this waiting period. We are sending you lots of love and prayers

Love and Prayers
Lori Miller

Unknown said...

Dear Angela:
I know you know that God is with you in this journey, but I hope you also know the host of those of us who are with you in spirit and will be praying for Joseph and the rest of you!
Love: Ginny & Ken Jones (from the Calvary Choir)

Angie said...

Angela, I just found out about Joseph today on facebook. I signed onto your blog to see what is going on. My heart goes out to you and your family. Joseph is such a little fighter. I know he will pull through this with flying colors. In the mean time, I will keep you guys in my prayers.
Love,
Angie and Billy McLaughlin

Aron said...

Angela, Collin and I are praying like crazy for Joseph! He is an AMAZING boy with the greatest personality...he's a fighter. Please know that we are here for you. If we can help in any way at all, please do not hesitate to ask. Lots of love to all of you from the Smiths.
Collin, Aron, Mak and Clara Beth

Sharon said...

Stephen and Angela, you are in my heart and prayers. Trusting our Father to exceed your needs and may the peace that passes understanding overwhelm you.

So much love,
Sharon

Shawn said...

Angela....I just found out about Joseph this morning. We will continue to lift Joseph and your family up in prayers. If you need anything, I'm just a phone call away.

Love and Prayers,
Shawn Dodd